The Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)-compliant NASA EMS/MWA curriculum unit was written for classroom delivery by teachers participating in the NASA AAA professional development program. Curriculum components are available to a wider audience via this site. Please note that more material may be added to this page periodically, so checking back occasionally is encouraged.
This work is supported by Cooperative Agreement NNX16AC51A between NASA’s Science Mission Directorate and the SETI Institute. Further acknowledgements are contained in the Curriculum Explanatory Guide and Acknowledgements document linked below.
Please note that:
- The curriculum was designed to be used by fully trained AAA teachers. Before teaching the curriculum, AAA teachers receive focused professional development and an all-day in-person curriculum training workshop.
- The curriculum is based on a series of hands-on student activities. Materials and equipment needed for those activities are listed in the learning plans.
- The curriculum materials are not in final form. These materials are still undergoing revision; independent product review has not yet occurred.
- Please consider filling in this brief (optional) information form including your e-mail address to help us better serve you and the science education community: https://forms.gle/nXrZVGd72nA7k1up8
Two ways to download the materials:
- Download all files in a zip format (66.3 mb).
- Download individual files linked below.
Curriculum Explanatory Guide and Acknowledgements78 kb
All Days - Unit Overview and Misconceptions634 kb
All Days - Unit Overview and Implementation Slides13.4 mb
All Days - Material Lists and Suggested Vendors186 kb
Days 1+2 Learning Plans plus Materials List (Filters & Wavelengths)1.5 mb
Day 3 Learning Plan plus Materials List (Beyond the Visible)2.9 mb
Days 4+5 Learning Plans plus Materials List (Detecting Invisible Light)4.4 mb
Day 6 Learning Plans plus Materials List (How Do Astronomers Use Images?)4.2 mb
Days 7+8 Learning Plan plus Materials List (How Do Astronomers Use Spectra?)3.6 mb
Days 9+10 Learning Plans plus Materials List (How Do We Know What We Know?)2 mb
Science Case Studies student reader - English24.8 mb
Estudio de Casos Científicos - Español8.8 mb
Infrared Astronomy - More Than Our Eyes Can See (lithograph) - English1.8 mb
Astronomia Infrarrojo - Más De Lo Que Nuestros Ojos Pueden Ver - Español1.7 mb
SOFIA Mission Overview lithograph - English1.8 mb
SOFIA - Explorando el Universo Infrarrojo - Español1.6 mb