|Allen Telescope Array Research Team
|Hat Creek, California
The SETI Institute, a scientific research organization based in Mountain View, California, is seeking a motivated Research Assistant to join our team at the Allen Telescope Array research facility in Hat Creek California. The ideal candidate will be collaborating with the team members to design and implement GNU-radio based digital signal processing concepts. This is a temporary position that offers great learning opportunity and hands-on experience in radio astronomy and digital signal processing. We are seeking a team player, with a proactive approach, willingness to take directions and to apply their knowledge to the work at hand. This position is based in Hat Creek California and accommodations are provided at the research facility.
- Design and Implementation of DSP Concepts:
- Collaboratively design and implement GNU-radio based digital signal processing (DSP) concepts.
- Contribute to publishing these concepts on our dedicated website, making them accessible for educational and research purposes.
Development of a GUI for Telescope Control:
- Develop an intuitive and user-friendly Graphical User Interface (GUI) for telescope control, tailored for GNU radio tutorials.
- Ensure the GUI is efficient, reliable, and aligns with the operational needs of the Allen Telescope Array.
- BS degree in Physics, Astrophysics, Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field.
- Strong programming skills, particularly in Python or related languages.
- Familiarity with GNU Radio or similar SDR platforms is preferred but not required.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities and a keen attention to detail.
What We Offer:
- The opportunity to work at the forefront of radio astronomy research.
- Hands-on experience with the Allen Telescope Array.
- A collaborative, dynamic, and learning research environment.
- On-site accommodation at the observatory.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, sort, file paperwork or parts, grasp lightly, and use fine manipulation, lift, carry, push and pull objects that weigh 10 pounds or less.
- Reach or work above shoulders and use a telephone.