Co-Chairman of the Board
- General Partner at U.S. Venture Partners (2000 - )
- Former VP and General Manager of the System Development Division at Xerox
- Founder, president and CEO of Metaphor which was acquired by IBM in 1991, which named him Vice President of Business development for IBM Personal Systems.
- Member of NRC/NAS Computer Science and Telecommunications Board (CSTB)
- Trustee of the Public Library of Science
- Member of the B612 Foundation Board
- Chair of the Stanford School of Engineering Advisory Committee, and serves on the Board of SRI International
- Served on the board of directors of Sybase, Broderbund Software, Borland International and Ticketmaster, and is currently on the board of the New York Times Company
- Former Chair of the Board of Trustees of the Santa Fe Institute
- Served on the DARPA Information Science and Technology Committee, and on the Board of the College of Engineering at both UC Berkeley and at the University of Michigan
- Senior Fellow of the Royal College of Art in London
- Served on the board of the Children's Discovery Museum of San Jose through 2004.
- BSEE from the University of Michigan, and a Ph.D. from the University of Toledo, in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
- Retired president and CEO of business incubator Interval Research Corporation, co-founded with Paul Allen in 1992.