- Professor Emeritus, Professor in the Graduate School, UC Berkeley
- Watson and Marilyn Alberts Chair in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence, UC Berkeley (1999 – 2011)
- Vice Chairman of the SETI Institute's Board of Trustees (1984-2000)
- Member, National Academy of Sciences (Astronomy, 1999 - present)
- Director, Radio Astronomy Laboratory, UC Berkeley (1971 -1996)
- Professor of Astronomy, UC Berkeley (1971 - 2005)
- Professor of Electrical Engineering, UC Berkeley (1960 - 2005)
- Ph.D., Engineering Science, 1960, University of California at Berkeley
- B.A. Physics, Stanford University
- Docteur Honoris Causa, Universite de Bordeaux, I. 1979
- The Berkeley Citation (1996)
- Miller Institute Research Professorship, 1999 – 2000.
- The Jansky Lectureship of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory for 2001.
- The Icko Iben Jr. Distinguished Lectureship of the University of Illinois for 2002.
- Winner of the van der Pol Gold Medal of the International Scientific Radio Union, 2008. Citation: “Pioneer of millimeter wavelength interferometry to investigate astronomical objects ranging from solar system planets to galaxies at the edge of the Universe with spectral and angular resolution.”