Big Picture Science Radio Show: De-Extinction Show
ENCORE Maybe goodbye isn’t forever. Get ready to mingle with mammoths and gaze upon a ground sloth. Scientists want to give some animals a round-trip ticket back from oblivion. Learn how we might go from scraps of extinct DNA to creating live previously-extinct animals, and the man who claims it’s his mission to repopulate the skies with passenger pigeons.
But even if we have the tools to bring vanished animals back, should we?
Plus, the extinction of our own species: are we engineering the end of humans via our technology?
- Beth Shapiro – Associate professor of ecology and evolutionary biology, University of California, Santa Cruz
- Ben Novak – Biologist, Revive and Restore project at the Long Now Foundation, visiting biologist at the University of California, Santa Cruz
- Hank Greely – Lawyer working in bioethics, director of the Stanford Center for Law and the Biosciences at Stanford University
- Melanie Challenger – Poet, writer, author of On Extinction: How We Became Estranged from Nature
- Nick Bostrom – Director of the Future of Humanity Institute, Oxford University
First released April 29, 2013